Monday, July 14, 2008

Is the Gphone real?


I had given up on it last winter when I bought a locked BlackBerry Pearl on the street from a trusted source. (Cab drivers would never buy hot stuff, right?). Sold it through a friend who already knew a friend contracted to the network the device ran on, and I used the money toward the purchase of an iPhone.

Om Malik examines the fate/status of the Gphone, and he is far more exhaustive than I have the patience for, and far more civil than I. Good to see someone putting it in perspective, because I'd written Android off as vaporware, and bit the bullet and bought a 1.0 iPhone when I knew the 3Gs were around the corner. No 3G in Alaska, GPS not a sell for me yet, get to run the new 2.0 software anyway, no brainer.

I spend most of my time shuttling between two residences and all around the City of Fairbanks, so before you label me as a snob, consider: 60 hours a week on the street these days, the rest between two rest areas (known as "home"), with a "significant other," and some customers waiting on me. If you can't trust a mobile device to come through all the time with help on these things, by any available option, then it might be time to scrap the RaZR 3.

Also nice to have a portable entertainment center, which is what I paid the premium for.

Still lust after that BlackBerry keyboard, though lol.

No comments: