Sunday, March 16, 2008

Carharrts.


Often called by old-schoolers in Alaska (you better listen to them) "the Alaskan tuxedo," Carharrts are an article of choice for anyone who lives outdoors. I was disappointed by this article in the NYT, which seems only to mention the clothing in a lede about trust-fund East-coat sheep farmers.

My Carharrt coat has served for traction under a stuck cab at -45F, deflection against a knife, a respository for my devices, money, and other important stuff. It doesn't have dirt on it, it has _holes_. It's a part of my cab driving armor, along with a Buck, a Maglite, etc.

Seems like a better article would have been on Carharrts as ideal urban gear. Hip, too, but don't tell anyone. If I saw some punk on Fifth Avenue in this stuff, I'd terrify him in Alaskan style just for fun.

Where to look/buy. Highly recommended for work outdoors or any urban heavy work. Looks great with bling. Please add some ivory and think of the Northern people.

3 comments:

The Non Stop Shoebox said...

Three years ago, on returning to London, England, from a trip to New York, wearing a Carhartt jacket, I was informed by my trendier colleagues that I was the height of fashion.
Who knew that Carhartt would become de rigueur amongst the posing classes?
I bought mine at Dave's on 7th Ave, cheaply and for wearing outdoors. Bought the lined jeans too, and some for heavy wear in the shed.
In London it's possible to spend $160+ on Carhartt jeans which are so feeble they'd blow away in a mild storm.
Who would have thought that work-wear would be such a luxury?
(It happened to Dr Martens, once British blue-collar essentials, yet destined to become a global brand!)

Greg said...

Thanks.

Up here, the Carharrts can look like mobile armor. But they actually serve a purpose - most are "well-used." Alaska has few opportunities for yuppies ;)

Bought one pair of Dr. Martens in my life back in the day, and they were the worst shoes to break in I've ever experienced. And never comfortable ever through their lives.

The Non Stop Shoebox said...

You were unlucky with the Dr Martens.

Yes; nearly impossible to break in, but once achieved they're usually the best workwear you can find.

In my shopfloor days (30yrs) I wore nothing else.

(Apart from CLOTHES of course: what do you take ME for!)